Before any works can be undertaken within any Council-managed road reserves, you must apply for a Works Within Municipal Road Reserves Permit.

To download and fill out the form click on the link below:

Works Within Municipal Road Reserves Permit.

Return to form to Council via or at Council Offices at 109a Binney Street, Euroa or 293 High Street, Nagambie.

This is to ensure that Council’s road reserves are protected and reinstated to their original state after works have been carried out.


The fees for a “Works within Road Reserve” permit are set with the Road Management Act and are indexed annually. Your works project fee will be determined from the fees schedule according to the extent of the work.

→ Click here to view current project fees


Any vehicle crossing / crossover works must be constructed in accordance with the following IDM standard drawings:

What is a road reserve?

A road reserve is the public land located between private property/title boundaries and generally consists of a nature strip/roadside, drains and roadway.

Non-Council Roads

Council cannot issue a permit for any works which are to take place within a VicRoads arterial road reserve or freeway. Consent for these works must be obtained from VicRoads. More information regarding this is available from the VicRoads website here.

  • Typical works within a road reserve which require Council permit approval are:
  • Stormwater drainage and pit installations
  • Property vehicle access (crossover) construction and modification
  • Pathway and kerbing replacement
  • Water supply and sewer connections
  • Installation of public utilities
  • Road work
  • Tree planting / removal
  • Structures on nature strips / road reserves
Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance generally provides financial protection to both the public and the responsible persons conducting works, in the event of an incident resulting in damages or injury to third party assets or persons. A minimum policy coverage of $10 million is required for persons / companies conducting works within the road reserve. A public liability insurance certificate of currency must be provided to Council along with any permit application for works within a municipal road reserve.

Site plans

You will also need to include a site plan showing the location and details of the proposed works. This plan must also show the location of all assets within the vicinity of the proposed works. These assets may include trees, landscaping, road pavement, kerb & channel, footpaths, drains, service authority assets or private assets.

Dial Before You Dig

A “Dial Before You Dig” enquiry must be undertaken for any works which involve excavation. An online enquiry can be submitted on the Dial Before You Dig website here. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that any proposed works will not conflict with or cause damage to any existing utility services.


Contractor/works managers must undertake reinstatement of all affected infrastructure to Council standards and satisfaction. If reinstatement work is not undertaken to Council satisfaction, Council may elect to reinstate or rectify any defects at the cost of the contractor/works manager. All trenching backfill and surface reinstatement works must be in accordance with IDM standard drawing SD310.

Traffic Management

If you are planning any works on a road, street, lane or footpath, you must submit a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) with your application for Council to review. A Traffic Management Plan must be prepared by a qualified person as required by the Road Management Act 2004 and Road Safety Act 1986 and must be in accordance with Australian Standard AS 1742.3 2009. This requirement is in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004, the Road Safety Act 1986 and Australian Standard AS 1742.3 2009 – Traffic control devices for works on roads.

The following items must be considered and, if relevant to the specific project, be addressed on the TMP drawings:
  • Location and extent of the works, including any road or lane closures
  • Proposed signage
  • Proposed detours, including the signage scheme for the detour pedestrian access must be maintained at all times. Any detours or alternative pathways required for pedestrians must be designed to take into account accessibility issues for people for disabilities.
Roads and Grading