Click here to download a handy sorting guide to help determine which bin your household items should go into.

Kerbside Recycling (Yellow) Bin


Paper and cardboard products (office paper, egg cartons, envelopes, boxes, paper plates etc.)
Magazines, phone books and advertising leaflets

Glass bottles and jars (all colours)

All rigid plastic containers or bottles with symbols 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 on the base (except polystyrene such as milk bottles, soft drink bottles, ice cream / margarine / yoghurt containers, household cleaner containers). Remove lids and place in recycling bin separately.

Plastic plant pots

Aluminium cans and clean aluminium foil/food trays

Milk and juice cartons

Steel cans including aerosol cans (remove nozzle and place in recycling bin separately) as well as empty paint and pet food cans

Kerbside Organic (Green) Bin

Food scraps

Garden Waste

Paper contaminated by food (serviettes, paper plates etc.)

Kerbside Rubbish (Red) Bin

Plastic bags

Ceramics, crockery, china or Pyrex cookware. Broken drinking glasses. Mirror or window glass (wrap in paper and place in your bin or take to your nearest Transfer Station)

Waxed cardboard (alternatively, use as a firelighter)

Styrofoam, polystyrene containers (place in your red lidded rubbish bin)

Take to your nearest Transfer Station

Light globes or tubes

Domestic quantities of recyclable items such as glass bottles and jars, aluminium cans, paper, plastic containers, cardboard and steel cans are accepted free of charge at all transfer stations/resource recovery centres For more information about Council’s Transfer Stations, click here.

Green waste

Green waste may be deposited at Avenel, Euroa, Nagambie and Violet Town Transfer Stations for the standard tipping fee. Domestic quantities of mulched green waste may be taken from these sites free of charge. If mulched green waste is required by ratepayers, it must be self-loaded and is taken at the user’s risk. The quality of the mulch is not guaranteed by Council.

Paint, Chemicals, Liquid Wastes, and Hazardous Materials

These items are not accepted at Council facilities. Less toxic household items such as paint, household batteries and fluorescent lighting are accepted free of charge at the Shepparton Resource Recovery Centre, 125 Wanganui Rd, Shepparton.

To dispose of toxic household chemicals, visit Sustainability Victoria’s “Detox Your Home” webpage to find collection points and dates for mobile chemical collections


For the disposal of asbestos, contact the Environmental Protection Authority on 1300 372 842 or visit

Council facilities can only accept materials potentially containing asbestos (cement sheeting) if the material explicitly states it does not contain asbestos, or, a clearance certificate is provided by a licensed professional.


Whitegoods containing refrigerants

  • commonly refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners
  • require degassing by a licensed professional.

These items can be taken to the Avenel, Euroa, Nagambie and Violet Town Transfer Stations. A charge applies for the environmental management of materials containing refrigerants. Any prior degassing of materials must be accompanied with a certificate from a licensed professional for this charge to be waived.

Domestic Motor Oil

Motor oil is defined as combustible engine and gear oils only. Domestic motor oil will be accepted at Euroa, Nagambie and Violet Town Transfer Stations. Only quantities of 20L or less will be accepted.

drumMUSTER Program

drumMUSTER is a national program for collecting and recycling empty, cleaned metal and plastic farm chemical containers. All drums must carry the drumMUSTER logo and be clean, dry and free of checmical residue (rust and dye stains are acceptable).

If you need to bring in more than 20 drums at one time, contact Council on 1800 065 993 to arrange a suitable time.

Handy Hints for Recycling

Remove all lids (place separately in recycling bin)

Crush all bulky items to make more space

Place items loosely in your recycling bin (not in plastic bags or stacked inside one another)

Save water (and elbow grease) – recyclable containers need to be empty and free of food, but they don’t need to be washed

String, rope and cable can become tangled around sorting machinery. Please do not place these items in your recycling bin

Every little bit counts! Place all small plastics, such as bread tags and straws, in your recycling bin