Flood and Storm Emergency Information

21 Oct 2022

Flood Emergency Information

Prepare for another significant rain event

We are urging communities across our Shire to prepare for another significant rain event predicted for late this week and into early next week.  

This may mean leaving your sandbags in place!  

Get the latest information and flood updates

In a flood event, VICSES is the lead agency for latest updates. Visit the VicEmergency app for the latest incidents and warnings.

Stay updated and stay prepared
Disaster Relief Payments

The Victorian Government has announced payments of up to $1,960 per eligible family, including $560 per adult and $280 per child, are available through a one-off payment to help meet immediate needs including food, shelter, clothing, and medication. You can apply online at https://emergencypayments.dffh.vic.gov.au

The Federal Government has also announced financial help is available through Services Australia for people impacted by flooding. Learn more and apply at: https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/natural-disaster  

Flood recovery hotline

A flood recovery hotline has been initiated for Victorian impacted by floods. The hotline 1800 560 760 can help with: 

  • Navigating available support
  • Mental health and wellbeing support 

The hotline is open from 7.30am to 7.30pm every day.  

Isolated in flood

As water slowly recedes throughout our Shire, people will be isolated by flood water. If you do not have 72 hours of supplies (that’s food, water, medication etc) please contact us on 0456 621 454. 

If you are isolated and there is an emergency phone 000. 


We are urging communities across our Shire to prepare for another significant rain event predicted for late this week and into early next week.  

This may mean leaving your sandbags in place!  

Sand and sandbags have been delivered to the following locations. It will mean filling sandbags yourself, so please come early and be prepared: 

  • Avenel Recreation Reserve 
  • Nagambie Recreation Reserve  
  • Euroa Saleyards 
  • Violet Town Recreation Reserve 

Please be aware sandbags are limited. We urge you to please access sandbags from your local hardware store wherever possible.

Sandbags will not stop the water completely but can reduce the amount of water entering your home. The Victorian SES Sandbag Guide provides valuable information in preparing for floods.

Relief centres

Council will open relief centres across the Shire if they are needed. These will open as required:

  • Violet Town Recreation Reserve, 35 Cowslip St
  • Euroa Council Offices, Bury St.
  • Longwood Recreation Reserve, 2A Down St
  • Avenel Memorial Hall, 15 Queen St
  • Nagambie Regatta Centre, 66 Loddings Lane
Avoiding Mosquitoes

Rain and flooding may lead to a substantial increase in mosquito numbers as water subsides and pools form. The Better Health Channel provides information on how to avoid mosquitoes.

Donations and volunteering during flood recovery: GIVIT

We know so many in our community are eager to provide support to flood affected residents.

We’re happy to be working with online non-profit GIVIT to manage donations during this recovery effort. GIVIT connects donors and community organisations to make sure people and communities get exactly what they need, when they need it.

To donate money, items, services or volunteer support for flood recovery, please visit givit.org.au.

100% of donated money received by GIVIT will be used to purchase what’s needed by the people and communities impacted by flooding. GIVIT purchases from local providers to support the local economy as it recovers, where possible.

At this crucial time, it is important to not overwhelm on-the-ground charities. Please do not send unwanted items – check GIVIT’s website over the coming days and weeks to see exactly what is needed.

During a storm or flood

Follow the warnings

Victoria State Emergency Service and the Bureau of Meteorology work together to warn the community about storms and floods.

Call for help
  • For flood or storm emergency assistance from SES call 132 500.
  • For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000).
Observe road closed signs
  • Avoid unnecessary travel. Drive slowly, obey all roadblocks and never drive through floodwater.
  • For the latest list of VicRoads road closures go to VicRoads traffic or call 13 11 70.
  • Shire road closures will also be reported via Council’s social media and website.
Report a fallen tree or hazard
  • To report a hazard on a local road, call Council on 1800 065 993.
  • To report a hazard or tree down on a road managed by VicRoads road, call 13 11 70.
Report damage to Council property

Contact Council or our After Hours Emergency Service to report trees down over roads, water flowing over roads with no signage in place, or damage to Council facilities — phone 1800 065 993.

Power outages

Keep clear of fallen powerlines and keep others away. Take care with temporary generators. For more information about power outages go to Department Environment, Land, Water and Planning: Safety and emergencies – Power outages.

Septic tanks

Please use the following information sheets:

Missing or wandering animals

If you have a lost or found an animal, contact Council on 1800 065 993. If your fences are damaged, contain your pets in your home until they can be repaired. Livestock and horses should be moved to another property or paddock until fences can be repaired.

Cleaning up

Pets and Livestock in Strathbogie Shire

Strathbogie Shire’s saleyards are always open during emergency, however the first option for pet and livestock safety should always be with family or friends outside the affected area that can better provide for animals. The location of evacuation points is advised to the community when all details of the emergency situation are known.

What should I do with my pets in an emergency?

It is important to have a plan in place for your pet should you need to evacuate. If you are leaving early with your pets remember to be prepared with bedding, food and water and make sure you can transport them – pets are always safer on a lead or in a carrier. Always put your own safety before the safety of your pets. If you cannot take them with you, know where you could house your pets. This may include boarding kennels, a relative/friend’s place or take them with you.

What should I do with horses or livestock during an emergency?

It is important to prepare a plan that covers major disasters and emergencies. Leaving early is crucial to the survival of your animals. Your horses and/or livestock evacuation plan must include:

  1. an evacuation route for your horses and/or livestock which allows enough time for you to reach your destination safely
  2. which animals you take with you and which may be left behind
  3. an emergency/disaster kit for your animals and a prominent place it is kept. Depending on the type of animal, a kit might include two to three days of feed, water, halters, leads, rugs, a first aid kit, medications and relevant documentation
  4. a water supply for your animals that will last them at least 5 days, even if you expect to be home that evening
  5.  practice sessions, leading and loading them into a trailer or float. Have equipment close at hand that may be needed such as halters and lead ropes.

For more information, please visit: