Storm and flooding information

23 Jan 2024

Our crews are continuing to assess fallen trees and limbs causing road closures across the municipality following the recent storm and heavy rainfall events.

Our crews and contractors have been working around the clock and will continue the clean-up from this event over the next few weeks.

Please remember to drive to the conditions, slow down and keep an eye out for any loose debris.

For information on Council’s free storm-related waste disposal service, visit 

Current road closures 
  • All council-managed roads are now reopen
Current impacts to Council services
  • All council-managed facilities and services are now reopen
Frequently Asked Questions

Helpful Information:

Council Recovery Team

We have established a Flood Recovery Team to provide support to those whose homes or businesses in our Shire have been impacted by flood.

Contact us on 1800 965 993 or to register your property or business.

Follow the warnings

Victoria State Emergency Service and the Bureau of Meteorology work together to warn the community about storms and floods.

Call for help
  • For flood or storm emergency assistance from SES call 132 500.
  • For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000).
Observe road closed signs
  • Avoid unnecessary travel. Drive slowly, obey all roadblocks and never drive through floodwater.
  • For the latest list of VicRoads road closures go to VicRoads traffic or call 13 11 70.
  • Shire road closures will also be reported via Council’s social media and website.
Report a fallen tree or hazard
  • To report a hazard on a local road, call Council on 1800 065 993.
  • To report a hazard or tree down on a road managed by VicRoads road, call 13 11 70.
Report damage to Council property

Contact Council or our After Hours Emergency Service to report trees down over roads, water flowing over roads with no signage in place, or damage to Council facilities — phone 1800 065 993.

Power outages

Keep clear of fallen powerlines and keep others away. Take care with temporary generators. For more information about power outages go to Department Environment, Land, Water and Planning: Safety and emergencies – Power outages.

To report a fault, phone 13 17 99 or visit

Septic tanks
Missing or wandering animals

If you have a lost or found an animal, contact Council on 1800 065 993. If your fences are damaged, contain your pets in your home until they can be repaired. Livestock and horses should be moved to another property or paddock until fences can be repaired.

Cleaning up

Council is offering FREE storm-related green waste disposal until Sunday, January 28. Transfer Stations in Violet Town, Euroa, Avenel and Nagambie are accepting storm-related green waste free of charge from January 6, during normal operating hours. This temporary free service is only for organic storm-related debris, including branches and trees, and is not applicable to general gardening waste. If you have already visited your local transfer station to dispose of storm-related green waste between Wednesday, January 3 to Friday, January 5, please contact Council on 1800 065 993. Please also remember to place smaller green waste in your organic (green) bin for regular kerbside collection.

Agriculture losses

Landholders should report any agricultural losses via Agriculture Victoria’s online Impact Assessment Form located on the Agriculture Victoria website at

Avoiding Mosquitoes

Rain and flooding may lead to a substantial increase in mosquito numbers as water subsides and pools form. The Better Health Channel provides information on how to avoid mosquitoes.

Pets and Livestock in Strathbogie Shire

Strathbogie Shire’s saleyards are always open during emergency, however the first option for pet and livestock safety should always be with family or friends outside the affected area that can better provide for animals. The location of evacuation points is advised to the community when all details of the emergency situation are known.

What should I do with my pets in an emergency?

It is important to have a plan in place for your pet should you need to evacuate. If you are leaving early with your pets remember to be prepared with bedding, food and water and make sure you can transport them – pets are always safer on a lead or in a carrier. Always put your own safety before the safety of your pets. If you cannot take them with you, know where you could house your pets. This may include boarding kennels, a relative/friend’s place or take them with you.

What should I do with horses or livestock during an emergency?

It is important to prepare a plan that covers major disasters and emergencies. Leaving early is crucial to the survival of your animals. Your horses and/or livestock evacuation plan must include:

  1. an evacuation route for your horses and/or livestock which allows enough time for you to reach your destination safely
  2. which animals you take with you and which may be left behind
  3. an emergency/disaster kit for your animals and a prominent place it is kept. Depending on the type of animal, a kit might include two to three days of feed, water, halters, leads, rugs, a first aid kit, medications and relevant documentation
  4. a water supply for your animals that will last them at least 5 days, even if you expect to be home that evening
  5.  practice sessions, leading and loading them into a trailer or float. Have equipment close at hand that may be needed such as halters and lead ropes.

For more information, please visit: