Strathbogie Shire Council

Tel 24/7: 1800 065 993

Consent for works/road reserve

Council consent is required before any work is undertaken in a local Road Reserve.

The Road Reserve is the area between property boundaries (usually fenced) on either side of a road.

Typical work undertaken in a Road Reserve includes the construction and/or installation of:

  • Property access, (crossovers/driveways)
  • Bitumen sealed turnouts and shoulders
  • Concrete footpaths
  • Plumbing services connections
  • Minor excavations to lay or maintain underground utility services

Standard drawings of property access/driveways are available from Council's Asset Services Directorate or from Council’s website.

The property owner is responsible for the construction and maintenance of the above works.

It is illegal to place any obstruction in the kerb and channel, or drain for vehicle access.

All work carried out on a Council controlled Road Reserve must have Council approval. This applies to work in both urban and rural situations. Applications should be made in writing on the appropriate form and provide a plan or sketch that includes the exact location and approximate dimensions of the proposed work.

If you engage a contractor, you should ask to see their Public Liability Insurance Policy. The “consent form” requires the Public Liability Insurance details of the constructor.

It is the landowner's responsibility to ensure that any proposed work will not conflict with any existing utility services. It is suggested that you phone "Dial Before You Dig" on 1100 to obtain information on in-ground service locations for communications, power, gas reticulation and other services.

A Traffic Management Plan is required. The Traffic Management Plan must be prepared by a suitably qualified person, and outline how you will manage all traffic, vehicles and pedestrians around the worksite.

Featured Links

Top of Page